The Gili Islands are a group of three separate islands- Gili Trawangan, Gili Meno, and Gili Air, collectively referred to as the “Gilis”.
Each island brings its own character with it. From a vibrant nightlife party scene- to an idyllic super quiet peaceful environment, the Gili Islands know how to make everyone happy.
Bali and Gili Islands are often visited during one holiday together.
Bali and Gili Islands
The Undiscovered Paradise
Discover the hidden paradise
Which is the best Gili island?
With the surrounding, crystalline turquoise waters boasting of a myriad of underwater life and kaleidoscopic coral reefs, the Gilis are often missed by tourists making them disappointed knowing about these beautiful islands too late. But for those who are visiting, the most common question is which is the best Gili island to enjoy?
While Gili Trawangan, the largest of the three, is geared towards the bustling nightlife and party scenes, Gili Meno is on the other end of the spectrum with limited partying but instead, an escape from civilization. If you are looking for the perfect balance between partying and relaxing, then Gili Air is where you want to be.
Below are some quick facts outlining the primary differences between the islands making your choice easier when it comes to narrowing down which island is perfect for you.
- You are able to circle the entire island in 2 hours on foot as the island length is approximately 3 km long, and 2 km wide.
- There is a ban on motor vehicles. Instead, bicycles are used or the traditional cidomo, horse carriages.
- The friendly community and safe environment make Gili Trawangan the perfect travel destination for foreigners.
- Due to the larger size, there is a good mix of hotels, bars, restaurants, and smaller marketplace shops.
- Offering a historic, underwater scene, make sure to visit the statues crafted by the talented sculptor Jason deCaires Taylor.
- With only a handful of restaurants and bars, this quiet west coast is more suited towards honeymooners or couples looking for complete privacy or perhaps environmentalists searching to expand their knowledge on tropical climates and peculiar animals.
- Because of the extremely low crime rate and a relaxed vibe, there are no police on the island. Instead, if there is a crime committed, this situation can be brought forth to the Kepala Desa, Head of the Village.
- Providing a more luxurious, upscale scene, this island is highly favored for its water sports activities such as snorkeling, diving, and surfing complemented by a strip of beach bars, seaside cafes, and local vendors.
- Even though this island is smaller in comparison to Gili Trawangan, it is more refined with the coastlines unbothered by crowds.
- If you are a yoga enthusiast, practicing yoga on Gili Air should be on your bucket list as it was the Orientals who originally introduced yoga to the world.
Scuba diving is a must while out here. You’ll travel by boat around all three beautiful Gili Islands, diving deep into one of the 20 dive sites into crystal clear water with a good chance of spotting some turtles, the clownfish Nemo, mandarin fish, whale sharks, manta rays, blue-ringed octopus, seahorses, reef sharks, peacock mantis shrimp and much more! Find a more detailed sample itinerary for Lombok here.
Building Memories – Take Your Private Gili Island Tour
Depending on what island you choose to visit, or perhaps all, Bali and Gili Islands are the perfect places to unwind, relax, and forget your stresses.
For your private Gili island tour, prepare yourself to explore hidden canyons and breathtaking waterfalls such as the Sendang Gile Waterfalls.
You will never get bored or run out of things to do as there is always something waiting to be discovered on this collection of islands.
WE Got You Covered
If snorkeling and diving is more your forte, then visiting Manta Point is a must to witness these colonies of underwater giants.
Or, maybe kicking it back on the beach soaking up the sun is your true calling? If so, Gili Meno Beach or Gili Air Beach are the places to be with a Mai Tai in one hand and a book in the other.
No Distance Is too Far
The amazing thing about those beautiful Gili Islands is, they will serve any type of traveler. Whether you are a family, or you are looking for a romantic honeymoon destination, or you are an explorer seeking adventures, we‘ve got you covered.
Bali and Gili Islands Packages